Difficulty in performing granular analysis on complex and voluminous data to measure Channel Engagement
The Media & Entertainment industry relies heavily on the loyalty of its subscribers which is measured based on viewership. Every week, the Broadcast Audience Research Council (BARC) India releases viewership metrics for every channel. Viewership data processed each week contains genre-level details related to demographics, markets, and geographies.
Due to the complexity and granularity of data, analysts have been deployed to create reports for channel managers and leadership teams. This team measures genre ratings within the respective Target Groups.
The analytics team would manually extract, clean, and process BARC's data using Excel spreadsheets to produce basic tables and reports. Manual reporting methods proved ineffective for deep analysis, making it difficult to accurately measure channel engagement ratio for channels. These reports lacked meaningful insights and further delayed the course of action to be taken by the leadership teams.
- Report generation and analysis was a manual and time-consuming process
- Processing large datasets every week was challenging
- Manual methods made it difficult to analyze data at a granular level
- Decision-making was delayed due to the lack of accurate and meaningful insights
“The team did a great job on narrative analytics at SPN. Their technical expertise with Phrazor helped manage our deadlines well on this project.”
- Sushma Chopra | Head - IT Applications
Curious to know what happened next? Unlock now to read the entire case study.
Dynamic Automation of Data-Driven Channel Performance Insights
SPN found solutions for the above difficulties in Phrazor, a reporting automation platform backed by Natural Language Generation technology. It converts complex and voluminous datasets into simple conversational narratives, making channel performance reports a lot easier to understand.
- SPN automated the entire manual reporting process. With Phrazor's ability to incorporate complex business logic specific to Media & Entertainment, the data analysts could now create personalized reports specific to business teams and channel leads, rich with language-based insights
- Phrazor enabled SPN to reduce its dependency on manual labor and diminish the time lag between analysis and decision-making from days to minutes. The analytics team could be reallocated to other higher-value tasks
- The SPN team got easy access to detailed comprehensive analysis with drill-down insights across all genres like competitor channel performance, competitor show performance, program-level performance, top movie premieres of the week, prime-time & non-prime analysis, against Gross Rating Points (GRP), Total Viewership Rating (TVR), Time Spent Viewing (TSV), Market Share and Reach
- To simplify the report syndication process, Phrazor generated the channel performance reports in the form of emails, newsletters, and pdfs. This allowed easy and quick access to decision makers to analyze data at a granular level
- Phrazor was directly connected to the Sony servers ensuring uncomplicated data integration and extraction process
- Phrazor also sourced compiled data from SPN servers for historical comparatives, to provide detailed trend analysis which would be impossible to do manually
- Minimized manual efforts in report creation
- Automated comprehensive personalized reports at the speed of thought
- Provides faster decision-making capabilities with thorough in-depth analysis
- Designed channel performance reports in diverse formats, namely email body, pdf attachments
Sony Pictures Networks India (SPN) is an indirect wholly-owned subsidiary of Japan’s Sony Corporation. It has a network of 29 channels, and different arms for movie, television, and digital production. Its channels are available in 167 countries, and the reach in India spans 700 million viewers across 170 million households. SPN is present across all mainstream genres namely Hindi GEC (general entertainment channels), Hindi movies, English GEC, English movies, Sports, Kids Entertainment and is also present in Indian regional languages.
SPN was also the first to launch an OTT (over-the-top) platform.